On workplaces with five or more employees, the employees can elect union representatives to represent the employees. Union representatives must be notified about any changes in the workplace. The union representative is part of a union representative initiative, and they are given special protection against termination. On workplaces with more than 20 employees, a work satisfaction representative may also be elected. The Faroese Worker’s Union strives to put all its union representatives through a union representative and committee member education.
The purpose of the union representative and job satisfaction representative initiative is to create safety, satisfaction, and development on the workplace, and to further develop social togetherness and to boost employee and management’s interest in the tasks ahead.
The main purpose of the union representative initiative is to give the members of the Faroese Workers’ Union representatives that:
- represent the workers in matters against the employer
- work for a good working environment
- monitor that the employer follows the agreement and law
- have the necessary information regarding events that are in the future, and which may have an effect on the working environment.
Concerning matters of safety and health, please see the current work environment law.
The employers must make sure that:
- the working circumstances are organised in such a manner as to give least possible danger of stress among the workers
- measures are taken to ensure a healthy cooperation between management and workers and between the workers
- bullying does not take place in the workplace
- any complaints concerning matters of health and satisfaction are heard immediately and treated by management, union representative and safety representative
- necessary measures be taken in order to improve conditions if the circumstances mentioned above are not in order
- satisfaction representatives are given time in the daily work schedule to plan social events without any deduction in their wage, however, in a manner that has the least possible effect on their work. These events may also be outside the workplace